Regional Tissue Identification, Quantification and Characterization
Members: Azubuike Okorie, Chelsea Harris, Keni Zheng, Sokratis Makrogiannis
Our objective is to delineate the main tissues in mid-thigh, namely subcutaneous fat, inter-muscular fat, muscle, cortical and endosteal bone components. The subcutaneous fat is segmentation using active contours, and the inter-muscular fat is separated from muscle using clustering methods. Finally the bone is identified by shape recognition. The quantification of each tissue involves computation of volume, average area, and first and second order intensity statistics. The method was validated versus reference quantification on CT imaging data of the same subjects produced by a semi-manual workflow.
Fig. 1: Overview of the thigh quantification method.
Fig. 2: Performance evaluation against a semi-manual CT-based quantification.
- , “Integrative blockwise sparse analysis for tissue characterization and classification”, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 107, p. 101885, 2020.
- , “Multi-atlas-based tissue identification in the lower leg using pQCT”, in SPIE Medical Imaging 2020: Image Processing, 2020.
- , “Learning Graph Cut Class Prototypes for Thigh CT Tissue Identification”, in Advances in Visual Computing, Cham, 2019.
- , “Shape Modeling and Atlas-Based Segmentation for Identification of Lower Leg Tissues in pQCT”, in 2019 IEEE Signal Processing in Medicine and Biology Symposium (SPMB), 2019.
- , “Automated skeletal tissue quantification in the lower leg using peripheral quantitative computed tomography”, Physiological Measurement, vol. 39, p. 035011, 2018.
- , “Image-Based Tissue Distribution Modeling for Skeletal Muscle Quality Characterization.”, IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 805-13, 2016.
- , “Software system for computing material and structural properties of bone and muscle in the lower extremity from pQCT”, Proc. SPIE 9112, Sensing Technologies for Global Health, Military Medicine, and Environmental Monitoring IV, vol. 9112. pp. 911216-911216-6, 2014.
- , “Computer-aided assessment of regional abdominal fat with food residue removal in CT.”, Acad Radiol, vol. 20, pp. 1413–1421, 2013.
- , “Automated abdominal fat quantification and food residue removal in CT”, in Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis (MMBIA), 2012 IEEE Workshop on, 2012.
- , “Automated quantification of muscle and fat in the thigh from water-, fat-, and nonsuppressed MR images.”, J Magn Reson Imaging, vol. 35, pp. 1152–1161, 2012.